Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Odeon

Watching a film at Odeon in Florence is a whole new movie-viewing experience altogether.

First, it's a block away from the Palazzo Strozzi, a Renaissance building--something you definitely can't find in Canada. Then it's the theatre itself. It's extravagant, it has character, it's beautiful. It's like being transported to another time. It's a theatre converted into a cinema that plays foreign and Italian movies.

Tonight we were in for a treat: A King's Speech. I was so happy to hear from a classmate that it was playing in the original English (with Italian subtitles) for two days only. Unfortunately that's the only drawback about Odeon, the short screening times. I went for the 6:20pm showing with my classmate, her husband, and my roomie Posh and was surprised to hear that it was still considered a matinee, so we only paid €6 each. Yay!

The film was wonderful. When I had first seen the previews on TV back home I thought, "What a stupid plot: a king learning to speak better. WTML?!" Then I heard all the Golden Globe and Oscar hype and I changed my mind. I'm so glad I did. It's the perfect mixture of drama, comedy, and great acting--something hard to find these days. It's Giosy-approved! Which also means go into it with low expectations.

After that we walked back to Il Pizzaiuolo, a pizzeria a block away from the apartment. It was on Pleuve's list of must-eats and I had been meaning to try it since I discovered it was so close. Posh and I shared their diavolo pizza with tomato, mozzarella, spicy salami, and basil--such delicious, authentic, Neapolitan pizza!--and then I finished my meal up in true Neapolitan fashion with a babà (cake soaked in rum). Dare I say we may have found a new neighbourhood haunt? Dare I also say that I wouldn't mind working there?

Today's word of the day is tifoso. It means "fan" (of something/someone, not a fan to cool yourself down with) and must agree with your gender, i.e. Sara è una tifosa di calcio vs. Luigi è un tifoso di calcio.

PS. I forgot to mention last night that I exchanged bed-frames with the extra bed in Rob's room. I slept so much better last night!
PPS. The photos taken today were done with my cellphone Argo. Or you could say I was going for an aged, vintage look.

No comments:

Post a Comment