Monday, March 14, 2011

Il Cigno Nero

I am really freaked out right now.

I watched Il Cigno Nero (The Black Swan) at the Odeon tonight with Rob and Posh and I left the theatre feeling very disturbed. I could not handle walking down the street or when Rob started looking at her fingernails. Reality seemed a bit perverse and I very much wanted to hold on to a teddy bear. Then I had all of these questions about the movie in my head. I wanted to understand what was imaginary and what was real, and how everything happened. Clearly it affected me more than Inception.

Natalie Portman was superb and well-deserving of her Oscar. At times she was unrecognizable due to her weight loss and adaptation of her role.

And then there was her character, Nina Sayers; a ballerina who strived for utmost perfection and who had tremendous self-control. At times I found myself identifying with her strict unwillingness to give in to the unknown. But that's where I draw the line of my comparison to her. She had issues, and I couldn't help but think of how Heath Ledger must have felt when he sank his teeth into the role of Joker in The Dark Knight.

Today's word of the day is spaventarsi, a reflexive verb meaning "to be scared/afraid". Mi sono molto spaventata...

No comments:

Post a Comment