Saturday, March 19, 2011

Che pasticcio!

I was internetless for a week (though I had occasional access in the school's computer lab) and as frustrating as it was the first few days, in the end it was quite liberating. The timing was terrible since it happened to be when Rob and Posh left so it was like the days of yore. You know, when people had to write letters by candlelight and such. I wrote no such letters. 

In the interest of keeping track of chronology, I am once again posting this retroactively. 


Friday night was Rob’s last night in Florence so we went to watch her friend play guitar again. It was almost the same set as last week but this time we had a table right by the “stage” and next to the amp, so we had front row seats. I learned a few days before that the singer studies opera, which explains her powerful pipes! She was amazing yet again and super friendly.

On Saturday, Posh and I woke up “early” (10:00am) to spend the last couple hours with Rob before she left for the airport. It was a bit surreal how quickly time had passed. Four weeks ago she had just arrived. It also reminded me that I was more than one third through my stay in Florence. I am definitely going to extend my stay here even though it will be a big expense. How much longer though I have yet to decide, but right now I am thinking an extra 2-4 weeks. 

Posh and I watched Che pasticcio, Bridget Jones (Bridget Jones and the Edge of Reason)--or rather, I watched it since she fell asleep. Then, Killer (previously known as Kyra--yes, she has a new nickname but not for the reason you think) and I decided to take a walk while Posh napped. I took her to my favourite gelateria (Gelateria alla Carraia) and I tried two new flavours: opera italiana (hazelnut and pistachio--SO DELICIOUS) and zabajone e fichi (zabaglione and figs). Right then I decided that from then on I would try 2 new flavours each time I go, as much as I love their “cookies” flavour. I also dream about working there, but that’s another story. 


They're so awesome that they have their own bus stop. And if you're wondering why you never see pictures of the actual gelato, that's because each time I enter I'm too excited to remember to take a picture, and each time I get one I eat it within a few minutes.

We scrapped our plans to walk up to the Piazzale Michelangelo as it started to rain. This week’s weather was pretty miserable with all the rain and grey skies. Posh and I watched Batman: il ritorno (Batman Returns)--Penguin is so disturbing--and then we decided to have a quiet Saturday night. Our plans to go to Loch Ness Lounge fell through yet again (originally we were going Friday) which means that I definitely need to go next week!


Today's word of the day is pasticcio, meaning both "pie" and "mess". I would rather have the pie. Preferably a bumbleberry one from Tartine's back in Vancouver.

No comments:

Post a Comment