Thursday, March 31, 2011

Il Trillo

After 2-3 weeks of inquiries and following up, I finally had my first singing lesson at a music school about a 6-minute walk from my apartment. I decided on having a trial lesson first to see what the teacher would be like. She was very friendly and asked me where I was from, my singing background, etc., and then we did a few warm up scales and arpeggios before I got to sing. She wanted me to take it easy since I haven't sung in 2 months (the only singing I've done in Florence was my Britney Spears impression for Posh and Rob--I didn't tell her that).

I left my music books at my aunt's house near Milan so I had to choose a piece from her binder. The only one I knew well was Puccini's O mio babbino caro. I only got to run through the aria once and most of the hour we spent together was devoted to correcting my posture and breathing. My teacher told me that I breathe too much with my diaphragm and should breathe instead into my dorsals. I was also slouching, which could be because I have had 2 months of laziness. It's the first time I've been told to majorly correct my posture! I have a lot to work on since breath and posture are the foundations of singing.

Today's word of the day is spingere or "to push". I need to learn to stop pushing the air so forcefully when I sing because it will damage my vocal cords.

No comments:

Post a Comment