Thursday, February 17, 2011

Pigri

Thinking my appointment with il comune was today at 2:45pm, I arrived ten minutes early and was told to sit and wait. A few minutes later, the man said that the computers weren't working and no one was picking up the phone. I got up a few times during the forty-five minute wait to double-check that I had the right place because it seemed like:
  • he didn't inform anyone I had arrived
  • I was the only one waiting
  • he and his colleague chatted the whole time while he cleaned his desk
  • nothing was happening
I was getting more frustrated with every minute because it seemed like they didn't know what to do with me so they just decided to have me sit. At 3:30pm, I told him I had been there for almost an hour, and finally he told me to go downstairs and inquire there. When I went, they showed me the list of appointments today (it was a short list at that) and my name wasn't there. The lady thought that maybe I got the wrong date, and it turns out that I did. My appointment was for next Thursday. *Groans*. That's an hour of my life I'll never get back.

On the upside, on my walk home from the Palazzo Vecchio I passed by a street with some cool souvenir shops, as well as Trattoria Anita, a "cheap and cheerful" restaurant where Nicky and I had lunch three years ago. I will forever remember that afternoon because as we walked out of the restaurant, we heard very loud, shall I say, sounds of intimacy coming from one of the apartments above. I made a point to walk down that street to retrace our fateful steps of that day. Next time, when it's nice and not rainy, I'll return with my camera because as it turns out, it's quite a characteristic street!

Today's word of the day is pigro. It can be used as an adjective or a noun and means "lazy". Like most Italian adjectives and many nouns, it must agree in gender and number with the subject/object:
Pigro - male, singular
Pigri - male, plural
Pigra - female, singular
Pigre - female, plural

Guess who I think is pigro?

1 comment:

  1. HAHAH i guess you didnt hear any sounds of intimacy this time

    ReplyDelete