Not much has been going on for the past few days...until tomorrow, when I fly to Paris to visit my dear Pleuve! I only started packing this evening because for the most part I am in denial that this trip is happening--partly because it feels strange to be a short plane-ride away from Paris, and partly also because she has already outdone herself as a host, even if I haven't arrived yet. Every few days she sends me a teaser of what to (not) expect or what she has prepared to make me feel at home, i.e. buying one of my favourite teas and honey, making lists of places to go and eat, asking me if there's anything I need, etc. I am very lucky and feel very spoiled!
So why today's title, you may ask? It has nothing to do with Paris at all, and even less to do with Pleuve. I was thumbing through my notes from the past week or so of classes and came across an etymology that really surprised me when my teacher brought it up. Italians use the word "snob" here as an adjective, and all the while I thought it was an English noun when really it derives from Latin!
Snob is believed to come from the Latin sine nobilitate, or "without nobility". We all associate the word today with someone who acts like they are better than everyone else. This is half-true--it's someone who is not of blue blood who acts as though they are. The next time I want to use "snob", I'm going to use the original Latin instead. Million dollar question: will that make me seem like a snob?
On a side-note, I realized this week that I have not been fulfilling my promise of meeting a man every week and writing about him. Technically I have only done this about three times. Now that you know, it was probably best that I had never brought it up, but this relationship of ours is built on honesty and unmet expectations, so I was honest about not pulling my weight. I'm sure I've gained weight though! Still want to be together?
No comments:
Post a Comment